Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Big Reveal

I hinted last week of a surprise I've planned for Matushka Anna. And here it is.



Shown for length, I hope her Godmother didn't have trouble through the Baptism managing the 40 inch gown!

When Miss Moppet's godparents asked me to make the gown, I was so excited, I couldn't wait. I knew almost exactly what I wanted to make. The only thing that didn't work out was a scalloped hemline, with lace peeking out through the scallops. I think the final results worked out much better!



Hanging on my decorated mantle.


Several years ago, the Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God was traveling through the United States on it's journey to Russia. We were blessed to visit it in Atlanta, at a last minute scheduling. We drove to St John the Wonderworker parish, and waited for the historic miracle-working icon to arrive. I had thought to bring a ribbon with me, not sure if they would have icon cards available for purchase. They had cards, so I grabbed a few for godchildren and family members.


Smocking details

We were able to venerate the icon, after completing the prayers to the Mother of God, and when I reached the Icon, +Fr Jacob Myer took the cards and the ribbon from me, and blessed them by laying them on the icon as I venerated.


Top detail

So back to the dress. I thought- what a wonderful idea to put a piece of the ribbon into the dress! I don't know that anyone's ever done that, but it's worth a try.


Bonnet
I told her godparents about the idea, and they loved it! So, in it went- just a tiny loop in the neckline of the gown, but enough to give Miss Moppet her first relic and icon card of the wonder-working icon.





Of course, when I told Matushka Anna about the relic, she was delighted. Godmother had already shared the secret, and I was told Fr was slightly anxious. Given the introduction of " Guess what Susanna's doing to the gown!" .. I don't blame him. Here's a short description of his first thought.. however, I think he was pleasantly surprised.

The lace peeks out perfectly!
So, my dear Miss Moppet, you have a great treasure in your gown that your godparents so lovingly chose for you. It was an honor for me to make it; I hope this is the first of many things I'm able to make you


God Grant you Many Years!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! I'll link this post so people can see all the beautiful details I haven't been able to photograph yet! (Also the story of the ribbon!)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Being married to a wonderful husband, with his incredible son, awesome nephew and pretty neat father can have it's challenges, but it's always rewarding. Singing in the church choir and sewing for those I love are always wonderful blessing. I hope you enjoy my thoughts, and projects. SS